Skip to main content
After about a year long process applying and filling out forms I have made it to Ukraine and am ready to start learning. Throughout much of this time I have only known 3 things, 1) my departure date (August 19), 2) my field (TESOL English), and 3) my country (Ukraine). I still basically only know those 3 things but am now working quickly towards understand how I will serve in Ukraine.

The Whirlwind
Once PC gets going it is all a whirlwind. Less than 2 days in DC for a Pre-Service retreat then a day or so of travel then a 4-day training retreat and finally onto our first host families who kindly house us for 11 weeks of pre-service language, cultural, and technical training. I have been place with my language group in a small village outside of Chernigov. Language lessons began immediately and we haven't stopped. Today, being the first day of classes in our village, we wandered around asking people where different basic components of the community could be found. I understood little of their response but they seemed to understand my question!

Ukraine
Ukraine is still a country experiencing a civil war. This is mostly felt through a depressed economy throughout the country and IDP (Internally Displace Persons) who have resettled in western Ukraine. I'm sure there is more but I have not even been in the country for a week so I have not experienced much. Peace Corps has set up a yellow "buffer zone" for volunteers in the area where no one is placed and a large portion of the East and Crimea is off limits to volunteers.

Host Family
I have a lovely host Mom and Dad and lovely little sister who is 4. They have hosted 3 other volunteers and before my Mom moved to the house her mom housed volunteers here. My house is very near my language teachers and I will walk there daily. Everyone in Ukraine seems to have a garden and my family is no different. There is a very big root cellar below the kitchen and we lift floor up to access. All of her home canned goods are stored as the season is over. I have had canned peppers and a new combination of a chunky sauce made with carrots, tomatoes, and peppers which I think is rather spicy. We have soup and potatoes at least once a day. My host mom also speaks pretty good English so so far communicating hasn't been a huge issue but that also means I don't practice Ukrainian as much as I should. Today I played Frozen for my host sister and she danced to "Let it Go" at least 3 times, which was adorable! She had an ear infection so has spent most of the day at home with her "Babushka". 

More to come with my super awesome wifi connection!





Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Site Placement! Oh boy did I take a blog break! Since last I blogged I went to my site for a quick visit, finished PST, became and official volunteer, and lost my computer cord. Finishing up PST was crazy busy finalizing our plans for our final project which was a conference for teachers about adapting games to fit different knowledge levels. and working hard to learn more of the language. Then came swearing in in Kiyv, where I lost my computer cord and had a real excuse for not blogging. I have been at my permanent site for just over 3 months now and am really getting the hang of things. Our "classroom" covered in language posters December Swearing In with my Language Group and Instructors  I spent December observing classes at my site. It wasn't always fun but I certainly understood better how my teachers do things at my school. It was cold but not terribly, insulation doesn't seem to be especially efficient in Ukraine but they have mastered war

Be Brave - Cultural Events

Birthday Dinner "Cucumber Pizza" This week was Mama Tanya's Birthday (she stays with Sasha and I on days when Marina works 8-8 or Lyosha works in Kiev). We went to Mama Tanya's house where she lives with her parents because her mothers health is declining. Their house is in Chernihiv near St. Trinity Monastery and I was "warned" before we arrived that the house wasn't pretty because they built it in sections and had recently added a "hot wall" (a hollow brick wall where a fire burns), I thought the house was great and pretty large. The table was full of food when we arrived and I was immediately told to sit down. Mama Ana, Mama Tanya's mom, is very hard of hearing because of her health issues but spoke to me all night. The real issue though was that everyone was speaking Russian and I have been learning Ukrainian and my skills are still rather poor. I smiled and nodded most of the night except the times when Marina wanted to transl